Cold weather is around the corner and its time to make a cozy pot roast. Here is an easy recipe that takes 15-20 minutes of prep time and one hour in a 6 litre Instant Pot. Get ready for a fork tender juicy pot roast. Here we go!
Load into stainless Instant Pot insert in the following order.
- 1 large onion – cut into 1/4’s
- 1 lb. peeled carrots – cut into large chunks
- 1 red bell pepper – seeded, cored and coarsely chopped
- 4 ribs of celery – cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup red wine, beer, white wine, kombucha or orange juice (do not add any more than 1/2 cup of alcohol to pot)
- 2 lbs. beef chuck roast ( flat iron, round and blade also work)
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
Pressure cook on “meat/stew” setting for 60 minutes. Make sure valve is on “sealing“. At the end of the 60 minutes, you should have a fork tender pot roast and your house will smell delicious.
- For a plant based version sub beef with 2 cups cubed portobello mushrooms and two blocks cubed tempeh for protein.
- Sub spices for equal parts of dry garlic powder, onion powder, sage, cinnamon and pink salt. (1 tbsp. of each is perfect for the 2 lb. roast.)
- Sub beef with 1/2 bone in chicken. Cut cooking time to 40 minutes.
- For the Instant Pot Mini – cut the recipe in half and be mindful not to go over the max fill line.
- Sub carrots, celery and bell pepper with chunks of pumpkin.